Underground Railroad (1830-1865)

GOV. STEELE-MOSES CHENEY HOUSE
277 Union Street

Although it is of rather more recent construction than the other houes enumerated, the little double brick house on Union Street a few rods east of Windy Row is reputed to have been built by Gov. John H. Steele and to have been his home for some years. The western half was the home of Moses Cheney who came here in 1835 to be associated with his brother-in-law, Abraham P. Morrison, in the manudfacture of paper. Cheney was an ardent abolitionist and for several years this little brick house was one of the stations on the famous Underground Railroad. Many were the fugutive slaves who had supper, lodging and breakfast in this house then were spirited up Windy Row by one of the Cheney boys who directed them to the next station in Hancock. Frederick Douglass, one of the most active members of the New England Anti-Slavery Society, stayed at this house when he addressed a meeting in the Town House on Concord Street, probably early in 1840.

SOURCE: History of Peterborough, New Hampshire (1954), Vol II, pages 780-781.