John Scott and Joseph Farnum ran the Peterborough Transcript and printing company upstairs of the old gristmill (site of 2 Main) in the late nineteenth century, followed by Scott alone. About five men worked there, operating water-powered and hand presses (Census 1870a). Walbridge and Taylor built a large grain elevator in the rear in 1889 (Morison 1954:420).
SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 97
Transcript Printing Company/Yankee Auto Parts, Inc.
Walbridge and Taylor grist mill
New Hampshire Ball Bearings, Inc.
Environmental Systems, Inc., David J Houston and Hilding Anderson
Yankee Auto Parts, Inc.
Dorothy Howard, photographic studio
Seed of Contentment, Anne Stoops
Automobile Wholesalers Association of New England, Inc. (AWANE
SOURCE: Our Changing Town, Vol II, page 401
Historic or Common Name: Lake Sunapee Bank
Construction: 1940/ca. 2000
Description: Same footprint as ca. 1940 building with front and rear additions, 2 stories. Monitor roof in center.
Replacement fenestration east elevation.
Notes: site of stone grist mill/Transcript Building, burned 1938; 1940s 1-story frame building with monitor roof grain storage (Sanborn 1941). NH Ball Bearings 1946-51, Derby’s warehouse 1958-67 (1996 II:402). Recently renovated for bank.
Contributing/Non Contributing: N[on] C[ontributing] structure (loss of integrity)
SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 96