History of Twelve Depot Street

12 Depot Street

Historic or Common Name: Toadstool Bookstore (former A&P)

Construction: ca. 1961/ca. 1970

Description: Characteristic A&P Colonial Revivak form, brick with hip roof and cupola, cross gable and facade gable, substantial 1- & 2-story additions built cs. 1970 to southwest

Notes: Site of RR passenger station; Built as A&P supermarket, Dyer Drug in building also from 1969, addition ca. 1970, 1973 A&P moved to plaza, 1973-89 Yankee (1996 II:406)

Contributing/Non Contributing: C[ontributing]: N[on] C[ontributing] site (age & loss of integrity)

SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 104


12 Depot Street

The original depot was located approximately where the Toadstool Bookshop is today. The current building was constructed in 1961 and was originally an A&P grocery store.

The train tracks crossed the Nubanusit just at the edge of the Contoocook River. Today the remains of the supporting pillars can be seen from Depot Park.

SOURCE: http://shoppeterboroughnh.com/depot-square-history/

10? Depot Street

1953
Last passenger train Boston and Main
1961
Boston and Main Depot building torn down
1969
Last freight train to Peterborough
1961-1973
New A&P Store
1961-1971
Norge Village; self-service dry-cleaning and laundry
1971-1973
Dyer Drugs, Inc., Merton S Dyer
1973-1989
Yankee Publishing, Inc.

SOURCE: Our Changing Town, Vol II, page 406