Following the abolishment of the school district system in 1886, Peterborough Central School was built 1887-1888 on Vine Street on the hill overlooking the village. This contained the high school and grammar school. From Main Street up the steep bank was a long flight of stairs next to 67 Main, now 45 Main parking lot.
New Public Facilities
The Central School closed in 1955 and was demolished in 1960, becoming parking for St. Peters Church.
SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 18, 26.
All twelve grades except for district grammar schools
St Peter's Church property/parking
SOURCE: Our Changing Town: Peterborough 1939-1989, page 443.