History of Schoolhouse No. 8

19 Grove Street

Historic or Common Name: Old No. 8 Schoolhouse

Construction: 1824/1999

Description: 1-story brick, gable-roofed school house. Entry on west gable end, originally on long elevation

Notes: moved 1999 from Middle Hancock Road, one of the earliest surviving schoolhouses in NH. Meets NR Criteria Consideration B for moved properties – significant for its architecture

C[ontributing]/N[on] C[ontributing]: C[ontributing]

SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 100

19 Grove Street

This collect of historical buildings expanded in1999 with the addition of the District #8 Schoolhouse. Dismantled at its original site on Middle Hancock Road and reconstructed at the Historical Society, the schoolhouse is the last intact one-room school of the town's 13 school districts. Now the schoolhouse is used for education programs offered to the region's elementary schools.

SOURCE: Peterborough Master Plan, Chapter 9, pages 9-24-9-25.