History of Putnam Grove

Historic or Common Name: Putnam Grove

Construction: 1862

Description: [None]

Notes: 2 ¾ acres, given to town by Miss Catherine Putnam. Tree planting and landscaping 1958 (1996 II:415). Watering trough was here 1958-1976

Contributing/Non Contributing: C[ontributing]: C[ontributing] site

SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa.

New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District

, June 2010, page 123

Grove Street

PUTNAM GROVE
PRESENTED TO THE
TOWN OF PETERBOROUGH BY
MISS CATHERINE PUTNAM
MARCH 11, 1862
TO BE KEPT FOREVER AS A
PUBLIC GROVE
ERECTED 1915 BY PETERBOROUGH CHAPTER
DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

Putnam Park was given to the town in 1862 by Catherine Putnam, with the stipulation that no buildings ever be erected upon it. The beautiful grove of trees on the site gave Grove Street its present name. 

SOURCE: A Walking Tour of PETERBOROUGH New Hampshire 

THIS WALL IS ERECTED

IN MEMORY OF

CARLETON AMES WHEELER
1875-1958
____________________________
BY HIS VISION, ENTHUSIASM
AND SELFLESS DEVOTION
HE CONTRIBUTED MUCH TOWARD
THE IMPROVEMENT OF HIS NATIVE TOWN