History of Nineteen Grove Street

17-19 Grove Street

Historic or Common Name: Peterborough Historical Society

Construction: 1917-1920

Description: 2-story brick building, Georgian Revival, hip roof, front ells, U-shaped footprint

Notes: Historical Society Museum and Library, also contains rental offices. On site since 1976 is 1914 watering trough, originally corner of Main and Summer. DOE 1992 individually eligible.

C[ontributing]/N[on] C[ontributing]: C[ontributing]

SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 100

19 Grove Street

Clara Foster Bass, mother of Governor Robert Perkins Bass, proposed this bulding in 1913 and contracted with Benjamin Russell for the design. Although downtown Peterborough was predominatly late 19th century Second Empire buildings, Russell chose Georgian Revival, his interpretation of "the spirit of the town." Working with the Basses, Russell finalized design plans in 1915. The building wasn't finished until 1920, distracted by coincidental construction of the Town House. To assure unified landscape, Russell employed the same overseer and contractors, the same hard-burned, dark-red, water struck bricks from the same vendor in Boston, for both the Historical Society and the Town House. 

SOURCE: Peterborough Heritage Commission (2007)

The Historical Society Building was a gift to the Society by Clara Foster Bass. It houses archives and a fine collection of antique furniture and artifacts from Peterborough history.

SOURCE: A Walking Tour of PETERBOROUGH New Hampshire