History of Forty-Four Concord Street

44 Concord Street

Historic or Common Name: Hafeli Oil (now Family Center of Peterborough)

Construction: ca. 1900/1940s

Description: 1-story side-gable rectangular building; 1911 2-and-1 ½-story rectangular building; 1924 Private garage & storage in wood yard (trucking); 1941 storage and garage; 1951 1-story garage 5 trucks, office at front.

Notes: early 1900s W.K. Nichols mfr doors, windows (some of building may survive in altered form). Martin Hafeli Swiss immigrant, to P. 1915, oil business from 1928 to 1947 (1954: 1109). Son George to 1962. Oil company closed 1976 (1996 II:418).

Contributing/Non Contributing: N[on]C[ontributing] (loss of integrity)

SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 109