Historic or Common Name: Pritchard House
Construction: ca. 1840s
Description: 1 ½-story high posted Cape, expanded rear ell, connected garage with added upper story, replacement siding
Notes: 1858, 1892 J. Pritchard; Jeremiah Pritchard carpenter; 1909-1928 Home for the Aged
Contributing/Non Contributing: C[ontributing]: C[ontributing]
SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 133
Philanthropy and Culture
In 1909, a Home for the Aged was founded by Mrs. Charles H. Cutler, Mrs. George P. Farrar and others. It was located in 8 Vine Street until 1928 (Morison 1954:549).
Transitional Capes with Stove-Flue Chimneys or High Posts/Knee Walls
Many of the houses in the Peterborough Downtown Historic District date to this period. Residential architectural forms underwent a significant transformation in this period though some builders continued to use traditional forms but with modifications to chimney placement as a result of changing heating technologies and structural framing techniques.* By the 1830s builders began to alter the traditional Cape form, replacing the center chimney with pairs of stove-flue chimneys, placed either between the front and rear rooms or on the gable ends. In addition, with the later ones the structural framing was altered, using lengthened corner posts. This transformation overlapped with the late stages of the Federal style and earliest stages of the Greek Revival style. Ornament is concentrated around the window and door openings and the edges of the building. In Peterborough, the earlier examples from this period feature a transom above the entry but on the later examples the entry treatment typically includes side lights and a door surround with varying degrees of elaboration from simple boards to a frontispiece with an entablature above supported by pilasters. Windows are typically 6/6 sash and granite is used for the foundation...
The Pritchard House (8 Vine Street, Photo 262), likely built in the 1830s or 1840s, is an altered example with an expanded rear ell connected to a twentieth-century garage. Its neighbor to the north and possible contemporary, the Eben Jones House (12 Vine Street, Photo 263), is an unusual example, with a saltbox profile, that has a number of twentieth century additions and alterations.
* The dates of construction for most of the capes are approximate based on general building patterns; some may actually date to the 1820s. Deed work on individual properties might help to narrow the dates and allow for a better chronology for building details and patterns.
Residential: Ranch Houses
The building replaced a large Victorian house bequeathed to the Peterborough Home for Aged People by George W. Farrar in 1928. At that time the organization, established in 1909 in a house on Vine Street, had outgrown its facility.
SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, pages 24, 40-41, 69
Peterborough Home for the Aged
Although the need for a home for aged people in Peterborough had been discussed for several years, it remained for Mrs. Charles H. Cutler to take the initiative. To her much of the credit for the foundation of the present home belongs. With her friends Miss Catherine H. Day, Mrs. George P. Farrar, and Mrs. E.M. Arnold, she raised $273 as a beginning for the home. These contributions indicated such interest that in January 1908 the Union Home Circle was formed through whose efforts the original donations were increased to $1,000. This amount appeared sufficient to justify the undertaking, so on August 12, 1909, at a meeting held at Mrs. Cutler’s house, a corporation was formed known as the Peterborough Home for Aged People, which, in due coursse, recieved a state charter. The Union Home Circle then transferred its funds to the new home and passed out of existence. The money was used for purchasing a house on Vince Street. By the time the home was opened in November 1909, there was enough moeny to make repairs, purchase equipment and leave a permanent fund of $1500. Five hundred dollars came from general subscriptions and the balance was a bequest of $1,000. The house opened with three inmates, Clarissa C. Clark, Olive C. Townsend, and Mary E. Gardner. Mrs C.H. Cutler was the first president, Mrs A.E. Nichols, treasurer; and Catherine H. Day, clerk.
The Home received the house on Elm Street it now occupies as a bequest under the will of George W. Farrar, subject to a life interest of his children. This house, at the time of its construction by Granville P. Felt, was considered the best built one in Peterborough. It is eminently well adapted for the home, which now houses about eight people, mostly women.
SOURCE: History of Peterborough (1954), Vol. I, pages 549-550