River Street is Peterborough's connection to the:
- first cotton factory run by water power in NH (Old Bell Factory)
The Bell Factory (1808 to 1922) stood on River Street, formerly Water Street, which connects Main and Elm Streets. In the early twentieth century, Mary Schofield built a vacation residence on the site (3 River). She also owned the dam and formerly associated property across the water.