About Main Street

Pictured above: Main Street, circa 1920.  Notice the buildings that once stood on the left where the People's United Bank is now located: Ellingwood's Drug Store, Boccelli's Cobbler Shop, Nathaniel Ford Laws residence, and Tucker's Tavern.

Main Street is Peterborough's connection to the:
- 1961 movie, Return to Peyton Place, and the Contoocook River, one of the few that flows north (Main Street Bridge)
- president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Brigham Young (20)
- Tibetan monks from the Drepung Gomang Monastery (22)
- National Register of Historic Places (25)
- oldest businesses in town, including Steele's Stationers (40)
- American Guernsey Association and Byte Magazine (70)
- oldest house in the village (85)
- home and office of J.H. Cutler, MD, one of the physicians living in Our Town at the turn of the 20th century (91)


The Main Street Bridge over the Contoocook River (No. 092/089) is a single-span, concrete rigidframe bridge with an arch effect and stone facing built 1940-1941.35 The bridge carries the eastern terminus of Main Street over the Contoocook River, one of the earliest roads in town, laid out by 1755.

SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, page 71