Pictured above: Grove Street, circa 1940. Notice the buildings that once stood in Postage Stamp Park (left), Boccelli Park (right), and the Central School (background).
Grove Street is Peterborough's connection to the:
- National Register of Historic Places (2, 23)
- Boston Post Cane (2)
- local stores that make Our Town a shopping destination (4, 8, 28, 30, 32, 36, 43, 64, 83, 84)
- award-wining architects, past and present (4, 8, 19, 93)
- Revolutionary War drummer boy, William Diamond and the War of 1812 hero, Gen. James Miller (Memorial Gates)
- history and culture of the Monadnock Region (19)
- printing and publishing industries (20, 43, 76)
- places to go for breakfast, lunch, or something sweet (26, 28, 43)
- downtown recreation (Postage Stamp Park, Putnam Grove, and Boccelli Garden)
- two wives of Union officers who drowned in the Potomac River aboard the sunken steamer, West Point (Civil War Statue)
Grove Street was laid out in 1826 and built in 1827, 1¾ miles between Smith’s Village and the South Village. Grove Street passed through Phoenix Company property and bridged Nubanusit (Goose) Brook. The first houses were built at the north end of the street within a few years. They were owned by the Livingston family.
South of the downtown, Grove Street parallels the west bank of the Contoocook. It was laid out in 1826-27, 1¾ miles between Main Street and South Peterborough. The railroad (now gone) tracks ran behind the houses, along the river. On the hillside west of Grove are later nineteenth-century residential side streets, sparsely settled historically, with some in-fill.
SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, pages 6, 12