Concord Street (Route 202 North) is Peterborough's connection to the:
- oldest free library in the world (2)
- Basketball Hall of Fame (33)
- abolitionist, Frederick Douglass (37-39)
- National Register of Historic Places (53)
- American Express and Wells Fargo companies (53)
- soldiers of the Revolutionary War (Village Cemetery)
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (72)
Concord Street developed in the 1820s-1830s. Dr. Follansbee sold off some land at the south end of the street in 1830 and the Brick Block (1-7 Concord Street) was built. A new Town House was erected on Concord Street in 1830. It was a one-story brick building, used by the Town for thirty years. When the original burying ground was filled, rather than enlarge it, a new Village Cemetery was established at the base of the hill east of Concord Street. Two acres was purchased in 1832 from Samuel G. Smith, and another acre in 1833. The Town voted that it be “fenced as proper” (Morison 1954:12). The Presbyterian Association desired a more central location and using the bricks from the 1825 church, built a new one at 33 Concord Street in 1839 (now Union Congregational). The Methodist Society bought land on Concord Street, with an existing house that became the parsonage when the church was built in 1840. This was known as Church Street early on. The name Concord Street recognizes its place on what has always been the main route toward Concord from points southwest.
Concord Street was extended north of Sand Hill Road to the North Village in 1835.
Concord Street homes were mostly owner-occupied in 1860. The residents included the Methodist minister, two physicians A. Smith and W. Follansbee, Deputy sheriff Charles Scott. Concord Street also had two farmers and five farm laborers, three carpenters, a painter, a cooper, a chair-seater, two basket-makers, two blacksmiths, an iron moulder, two machinists, a harness-maker, a road worker, an “expressman,” a printer and two butchers. Women working outside the home included four milliners, a teacher, two carders in a mill and ten weavers. Pine Street residents worked at a similar range of jobs (Census 1860; Chace 1858).
SOURCE: Driemeyer, Laura; Laprey, Kari; Monroe, Lynn; and Hill, Teresa. New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources, Area Form, Peterborough Downtown Historic District, June 2010, pages 12, 15